Hi,
I currently have a IM server I wrote with Synapse using the one thread per
connection model and it works great, but I am
concerned about how this model will scale with a lot of users.

I am just wondering what the best practice is to eliminate the thread per
connection model with something that will work on widows and linux with the
Free Pascal Compiler.

I know about select, but I can't find any examples on how to do a
multiplexed server with Synapse using select.  Does Synapse have any built
in ways to use select against a list of sockets?

How effective would it be to maintain my own list of sockets and loop
through them checking the CanRead property?  That's basically what select
does
if you provide it with a FD_SET of sockets right?

Thanks,

Tony