Patrick Ohly <patrick.ohly@...> writes:

> On Do, 2011-02-24 at 09:08 +0000, Irihapeti wrote:
> > Evolution and Lightning have different ways of interpreting repeating events
> > with exceptions, and there may be other quirks as well.
>
> Can you elaborate on that? Which events are handled differently?

I got the opportunity today to do some testing. Here are the notes I made.

Create appointment with six recurrences in total. Using Evolution.
  25 Feb to 1 April.

Attempt to remove one occurrence in Evolution.

  It won't let me. I get an "unknown error".

Change one occurrence in Evolution.

  "Make it movable" does not remove the original fixed event from the series.
  It creates a single separate event, which initially is a duplicate of one of
  the occurrences.

Create appointment with six recurrences in total. Using Lightning.
  12 March to 23 April.

Remove one occurrence (9 April) in Lightning.

  Occurrence has disappeared in Lightning.
  It's still displaying in Evolution. But if I go into the "Edit recurrence"
  dialog, the exception is listed correctly.

Change one occurrence (26 March -same day but different time) in Lightning.
  Displays correctly in Evolution. Displays correctly in Lightning.

Change one occurrence (from 19 March to 20 March - same time) in Lightning.
  Displays correctly in Evolution and Lightning.

Evolution vers. 2.28.3 (Lucid) and 2.30.3 (Maverick) behave the same.

When synced to E63 phone:
  9 April event (removed in Lightning) still displayed.
  Moved events display correctly.

Deleted both series of events from Evolution and synced phone again.
  First series (created in Evolution and which had no modified events)
  deleted OK. Second series (created in Lightning) deleted only the
  modified events and left the unchanged ones on the phone.

---
To summarise, Lightning interprets a specific recurrence as deleted where
Evolution and E63 don't.

You might recall that I had some errors with recurring events created on the
E63. For these reasons, I prefer not to use recurring events.