On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 06:35:28PM +0100, Rainer Gerhards wrote:
> Anton,
>
> this is a tough one ;)
>
> > Well, I think demanding that capability is more about host
> > implementation.  I think it is better to focus on the
> > protocol and what
> > the client/sender must put into the UTC offset field if one is not set
> > on the system.
>
> This is right. And I have to admit it is an important issue. We always
> have nightmares about non-timesynced devices, as many customers have. In
> fact, the default of our product is to use time of reception, not the
> time from the message timestamp. I guess this shows it actually *is* a
> real world issue...
[ snip ]

The problem that I have with these solutions is that they require the
syslog daemon to know if the time and timezone on the machine are valid.
I can't think of any way of doing that.  I'd would be perfectly happy
with a recomendadtion that the hosts should hove the correct
time/timezone information.  However, ultimatly it's the sys admin's
problem if their machines have incorrect time/timezone.  And the sys
admin which will suffer for it.

This isn't meat to trivialize the issue, but I don't think that it's a
problem which we should try to solve in the syslog protocol.  You can
only do so much to protect people from them selves.

My $0.02

--
Devin Kowatch
[EMAIL PROTECTED]