Chris Lonvick wrote:
Hi Folks,

I'll be asking this in Vancouver but would like to get some input from the mailing list.

Our charter says that we will develop a secure method to transport syslog messages. We have BEEP (RFC 3195) but it has a low implementation record. Other groups have specified BEEP as well but are also moving along towards using SSH or SSL.

1) What secure substrate should the WG look towards:

you should never add a new substrate.  The IETF re-invents things way
too often.  Any proposal should be required to justify not using some
pre-existing scheme (TLS, SSH, IPSec, whatever)

2) Why?

Because it's hard enough to get vendors to implement this stuff
and if they already have one or more security mechanisms implemented
it's architecturally irresponsible to ask them to add another one
without a significant amount of justification.