> I see that there is a lot of work around SSH connection
> protocol and its potential use in new protocols. I have not
> followed these developments. There must have been a good
> reason for it. I would like to understand why people object
> to SSL, which is a well established technology. Any pointers?

I agree that SSL is widely deployed, especially for e-commerce. Nobody
has objected to SSL. In many ways, the ISMS decision was 6-of-one,
half-dozen of the other - so ISMS picked the one that Netconf had
chosen. ISMS chose SSH to work on first; there is nothing that
precludes also developing a transport mapping security model for SSL,
except the desire to limit standards options to improve
interoperability, and volunteer manpower.

The ISMS and Netconf WGs chose SSH because it is widely used by
operators to perform management tasks, there was a Netconf draft that
could be adapted for ISMS usage, and having "balanced" security across
management inetrfaces makes sense. If CLI, Netconf, and SNMP run over
SSH, and syslog runs over SSL, that may make it harder to ensure that
the security characteristics of the four management interfaces are
equivalent.

Netconf wants to add notifications, and I believe they are considering
trying to use syslog as their notification approach. That might be
easier if syslog worked over the same secure transport as Netconf.

David Harrington
[EMAIL PROTECTED]