David,

I think this thread got a little out-of-sync. I think there is no doubt
about the fact that syslog must support all international languages, so
that any local information can be conveyed. This was one of the major
driving factors behind syslog-protocol. What I have been discussing with
Tom here is wheter or not the *tag* (SD-IDs) need to have full
international support. The SD-Ids are identifying information, you might
think of them like extended header-fields or - maybe a better example -
like XML tags. They identify the information that is provided in a given
element.

The full reasoning is given in

    http://www.mail-archive.com/syslog%40lists.ietf.org/msg00013.html

Rainer