Hi,

I am concerned about the emphasis on backwards compatibility. The
reason people want a standard is that existing server implementations
have made different design decisions, and device and application
vendors are forced to either interoperate with one vendor-specific
server implementation, or need to write code to support different
server implementations. Device and application vendors would like one
consistent solution that is vendor-neutral so their implementations
will interoperate with any standard-compliant server.

If we strive for backwards compatibility, we will end up with a
standard that simply rubber-stamps many of the non-interoperable,
vendor-specific existing server implementations.  We should be
striving to produce a standard for syslog that is vendor-neutral and
that helps server and equipment/application vendors produce
interoperable implementations using one standard syslog specification.

I am, however, a strong believer in making it fairly easy for vendors
to migrate from their existing vendor-specific non-interoperable
implementations to a vendor-neutral interoperable standard, and to
make it possible for servers and senders to support both the existing
syslog and the new standard for syslog.

I believe we should emphasize "ease of migration and co-existence"
rather than "backwards compatibility".

I suggest changing
"The goal of this working group is to address the security and
integrity problems of the existing syslog mechanism while not breaking
backwards compatibility."
"The goal of this working group is to address the security and
integrity problems, and to standardize the syslog protocol, transport,
and a select set of mechanisms in a manner that considers the ease of
migration between and the co-existence of existing versions and the
standard."

Some charter items could be interpreted as documenting existing
practices, rather than documenting an agreed-to standardized approach
for these aspects of syslog.

I suggest changing

> - A standard will be produced that formally documents the syslog
> protocol.  A mechanism will also be defined in this specification
> that will provide a means to convey structured data.
>
> - A standard will be produced that documents the UDP transport for
> syslog.
>
> - A standard will be produced that documents a mechanism to sign
> syslog messages to provide integrity checking and source
> authentication.

"
- A document will be produced that describes a standardized syslog
protocol.  A mechanism will also be defined in this document
that will provide a means to convey structured data.

- A document will be produced that describes a standardized UDP
transport for syslog.

- A document will be produced that describes a standardized mechanism
to sign syslog messages to provide integrity checking and source
authentication."

David Harrington
[EMAIL PROTECTED]