Chris & WG

I am also quite directly...

> >From the meeting, it sounds like we will get many more
> implementations if
> we continue to use <PRI>... at the start of syslog messages.

> This will
> allow current receivers to continue to receive messages and
> put them in
> the right bins.

> Does anyone disagree with this?

Yes, disagreement here. For the reasons outline in mail from Friday,
this is *NOT* true. Existing syslog receivers will be broken if we just
stick with <PRI> and do not adjust the other header fields.

Of course, it is doable. For details, review

http://www.mail-archive.com/syslog%40lists.ietf.org/msg00121.html

(around the middle of the post).

> The WG has agreed to use the timestamp Rainer has in the current
> syslog-protocol.

See implications noted in previous mail quoted above.

> Using the FQDN and numeric notations for IPv4 and IPv6
> addresses has been
> agreed to.

See implications noted in previous mail quoted above.

> Putting in the Structured Data still seems like a great
> evolutionary step
> for syslog.  I'd like to see that go into the new
> syslog-protocol.  Does
> anyone disagree with this?

Agree, even does not hurt existing receivers.

> Should we continue to have the MSGID in the header, or should
> that become
> an SD-ID element?

Both is doable. If we want to stick as compatible as possible, it should
go into an SD-ID element.

> We've had slow-downs in our prior discussions about
> truncation and message
> length.  To complete this work without revisiting those
> discussions, and
> in the spirit of backwards compliance with traditional
> syslog, I propose
> that we accept the length as Rainer has proposed in
> syslog-protocol, and
> disallow any device to truncate the messages.  At some future time,
> someone can augment the syslog-protocol standard and define a
> mechanism
> and signalling that will allow truncation.  Does anyone disagree with
> this?

It's problematic. Syslog-protocol has no actual upper limit. Some
(useful) applications need more than 2K - that was the sense of the
compromise. So it is possible that a message gets truncated. However, we
could accept that fact without specifying a header for it. That could go
into a SD-ID, too.

> Encoding has been discussed and we have agreed upon US-ASCII
> and UTF-8 in
> appropriate places.  Could we add a language tag as an element in an
> SD-ID to indicate the language of the MSG?

If so, we should include the *character set* not the language. In
respect to existing implementations, that would also be usefule. We
should strongly consider to allow (but not recommend) other encodings,
too (like popular JIS or EUC). I also posted this in my previous mail.

> We need a version.  Should that be in the header (after
> <PRI>), or as an
> element in an SD-ID?

Header breaks backward-compatibility. SD-ID makes it chatty. In general,
if we try to keep backwards-compatible, we should do it "right" and be
able to handle the situation without the need of a version. Well... It
could still be an optional SD-ID.

> One possibility would be to assemble a syslog message as:
>
> <PRI>TIMESTAMP FQDN VERSION MSGID [SD-ID]s MSG

I object this. It is smaller than protocol-15, but does not address the
backwards compatibility issue. If we go with that we can go with
-protocol-15, too.

> If we can agree to this then I suspect that we can have a
> working document
> within Rainer's timeframe.  I'll propose the following
> charter to keep us
> focused.

We need to address the backward compatibility issues if we want to have
backward compatibility. Else we have the same problem again, just with
another header.

> -------- Proposed Charter  --------------
>
> Syslog is a de-facto standard for logging system events.  However, the
> protocol component of this event logging system has not been formally
> documented.  While the protocol has been very useful and scalable, it
> has some known security problems which were documented in RFC 3164.
>
> The goal of this working group is to address the security and
> integrity problems of the existing syslog mechanism while not breaking
> backwards compatibility.  The most obvious problems that need to be
> addressed in the syslog protocol are the timestamp, which has not
> formally included a means to indicate the year, and the identification
> of the source which has been a hostname without a qualified domain
> name.  Additionally, a version, some type of message indicator, and a
> means to convey structured data will be included in the protocol.
>
> syslog has traditionally been transported over UDP and this WG has
> already defined RFC 3195 for the reliable transport for the syslog
> messages.  The WG will separate the UDP transport from the
> protocol so
> that others may define additional transports in the future.
>
> - A standard will be produced that formally documents the syslog
> protocol.  A mechanism will also be defined in this specification
> that will provide a means to convey structured data.
>
> - A standard will be produced that documents the UDP transport for
> syslog.
>
> - A standard will be produced that documents a mechanism to sign
> syslog messages to provide integrity checking and source
> authentication.
>
> - A MIB definition for syslog will be produced.

I think that would be a practical charter, given this is the consensus.