Anton:

> > > WG,
> > > <PRI>VERSION TIMESTAMP HOSTNAME APP-NAME PROCID [SD-ID]s MSG
> >
> > I would put the SD-IDs after the message.
> >
> > The SD-IDs and detailed bits of meaning to the MSG and
> > without the MSG, are irrelevant.  The exception being a
> > language marker.
>
> I would prefer SD-ID where it is in example.  I would also
> re-iterate suggestion of having MSGID in the header, which a
> number of people supported.  Those two combined are arguably
> more important than the MSG part itself.  For example (in
> abbreviated syntax:
>
> host.domain.com MyApp proc1234 STARTED_UP [ip=1.1.1.1]: The
> applications has started
>
> I could live without the MSG here if it got truncated. The
> MSGID and SD-ID are much more important in this case.  BTW,
> the possible truncation of text and its variability (possible
> substitutable variables) is another reason why MSGID is so
> useful. It makes it easier for intelligent receivers to do
> things like event correlation.

I, too, would like to see the MSGID in the header, just as this

<PRI>VERSION TIMESTAMP HOSTNAME APP-NAME PROCID MSGID [SD-ID]s MSG

The issue is that we come closer and closer to the current
syslog-protocol-15 header with just the <PRI>. While this would be a
workable (and probably good) solution in my point of view, I have heared
some voices that would like to see fewer fields. I just caution to pull
out APP-NAME and PROCID and leave MSGID, because I would bet more than
one virtual can of beer that implementors will say "ah, MSGID is what
was called TAG" - and use it in that spirit. That would give us the
worst of both worlds...

Rainer