Hi Sam & WG,

I understand the reasoning behind requiring a security mechanism. I just
want to remind everyone that a major drawback in Vancouver was that we
had lost some backwards-compatibility to existing syslog
implementations.

The weeks after Vancouver we worked hard to find a minimum consensus on
how we could provide the needed backwards compatibility.

When we mandate a security mechanism, we must be very careful not to
invalidate all these attempts. Why? Simply because any transport-layer
requirement (DTSL, SSL, SSH, whatever) would NOT be compatible with
currently existing syslog implementations. So due to this requirement,
we can not create a backwards-compatible spec (not even in the sense
that existing receivers can put messages in the right bins). So in my
point of view the only option is to use structured-data embedded
signatures. As they do not modify the message format AND work over UDP,
they allow old receivers to receive messages and put them into the right
bins while new receivers can enjoy their benefits.

In my point of view, anything further (like required confidentiality)
conflicts with the backwards-compatibility approach and thus with the
rest of the new charter.

So I propose we update the charter to include that item and make sure
syslog-sign advances. Syslog-protocol can than require all messages to
be signed via syslog-sign.

Of course, a threat model should also be developed, but please keep in
mind that anything other than signatures breaks what this WG has fought
for since Vancouver.

syslog-protocol should be finished (I hope we are there soon) as well as
syslog-transport-udp. Then, these both should be taken to a rest and
syslog-sign be modified in the sense of -transport and being worked on.
I think this can probably done quickly, because -sign is almost complete
and just needs to be modified to take advantage of -protocol.

To be honest, though, I have to admit that I expect many of the upcoming
implementations to violate syslog-protocol by just implementing
-protocol and -transport-udp, but not -sign. But that's probably not
something to care about...

Rainer