Rainer and all:

I'd like to propose a slight terminology change for syslog protocol for
structured data. I think there is confusion even in this group about current
terminology.  For example, we (me included) keep referring to "structured data
element", when we mean "structured data parameter".  It is hard to remember the
difference.

I think easier vocabulary can help a standard - inside and outside this group.
Here is my proposal:

Structured Data => Tags
Structured Data Element => Tag Group
Structured Data ID => Tag Group ID
Structured Data Parameter => Tag
Structured Data Parameter Name => Tag Name
Structured Data Parameter Value => Tag Value

This is much less verbose and easier IMO.

Thanks,
Anton.