Hi,

[posting as a contributor]

I recommend this WG make a clear separation (as much as is possible)
between issues of security and issues of network management.

Issues such as harmonization with the work of other SDOs, integration
with netconf, message formatting, content standardization, and so on,
are about syslog as a network management protocol. I strongly beleve
this work should **not** be done by the syslog-sec WG, but in a WG
chartered in the OPS area or the Application area, not the Security
area. There are many contributors who have worked on, and are
currently working on, other network management protocols and have
addressed issues similar to those facing syslog.

In addition, there is an effort by the new OPS Management AD to
address the current isolated decision making (silos) that is occurring
regarding the management plane throughout the IETF. The contributors
to this WG should be involved in that discussion, which is likely to
be centered in the OPS area.

This WG is about security for syslog, and we should focus our efforts
on solving the security problems, whether with tls or ssh or beep, and
publish.

David Harrington
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

And,
> > if
> > > so, I think the very close next question is if we "just" update
it
> > > support syslog-protocol or if we intend to make any
> > > substantial changes.
> > >
> > > I see a relationship between the IPR and the 3195bis issue
because
> > > 3195bis modifies the "cost" of finding alternate solutions.
Coming
> > > this point, it would probably be helpful if we could actually
> > > weigh cost
> > > vs. utlity of the different approaches. IPR, IMHO, is just a
cost,
> > > obviously one whose weight we need to decide on. But I think it
is
> > not
> > > the only cost. If the WG finds such a "cost vs. utility"
> discussion
> > > useful, I could document my point of view as a starting point. I
> > > volunteer to create a summary document (a public web page, not a
> > I-D)
> > > where I track all contributions to this discussion (for an
example
> > of
> > > what I have in mind see Juergen Schoenwaelder's page on netconf
> > > notification requirements:
> > >
> http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/wiki/index.php/Netconf_notifications).
> > >
> > > I would find such a page very helpful. It documents the
> > > decision process
> > > and the decision criteria. In doing that, it helps us come to a
> > better
> > > decison because we than have all facts at a single place.
> > > Thus, it also
> > > provides good argument when dealing with the IESG (in the case
we
> > need
> > > to justify the decision).
> > >
> > > Thanks,