On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 05:38:55PM +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 16.09.2015 um 17:13 schrieb Ahmed S. Darwish:
> >Not to mention that the same rolling-release model was adopted by
> >the kernel long time ago for similar reasons and much more ;-)
>
> that is *not* true and won't become true by repeat it
>
> https://www.kernel.org/
>
> mainline:     4.2             2015-08-30
> stable:       4.1.7           2015-09-13
> longterm:     3.18.21         2015-08-31
>
> only systemd upstream has from the core component a "that is the new version
> with no major/minor" attitude and the kernel is the very last project to
> compare given "longterm: 2.6.32.67 2015-06-03"

I love it when people make their own argument for themselves, without
even realizing it :)

Those "longterm/stable" kernels contain bugfixes _only_, just like the
"stable" systemd release tree works.  No new features happen on those
kernel branches, and I _STRONGLY_ recommend using the latest kernel
release always, as sometimes I don't always catch all bugfixes that
might be relevant for the stable kernel releases, I'm only one person.

So, I'm glad you like the systemd method of releases, they copied what
we do in the kernel exactly the same way.

greg k-h