Hi Martin,

thanks for keeping our dialog alive :)

To sum up again what I actually want to achive:

I want to use NTP after bootup by default, but in case no NTP is available, the user should be able to set the date and time by hand
with timedatectl. But timedatectl refuses to do so, if "NTP is enabled".

And this is my main problem: I don't know how timedatectl decides
if NTP is enabled or not.

The one and only thing I need, is to set the date by hand if necessary. Preferable without file write access in /etc. The configuration of most of our programs is fixed, and for the ones that need it, we have a symlink to a writeable partition. I didn't get this to work for the time configuration so far.

Which confuses me is the inconsistency between
"systemctl status systemd.timesyncd" and "timedatectl status":

# systemctl status systemd.timesyncd
*  systemd.timesyncd.service
   Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
   Active: inactive (dead)

# timedatectl status
      Local time: Wed 2016-12-07 16:18:06 UTC
  Universal time: Wed 2016-12-07 16:18:06 UTC
        RTC time: n/a
       Time zone: Universal (UTC, +0000)
     NTP enabled: yes
NTP synchronized: no
 RTC in local TZ: no
      DST active: n/a

I don't see an inconsistency? If timedated is not running then
timedatectl can't actualy talk to it and just shows values which it
can make up by itself.

The inconsistence here is, that timesyncd is not running/dead (could not be started because no valid symlink to /lib/systemd/system/systemd-timesyncd exists) but timedatectl insists that NTP is enabled.

Thanks for your help,
André