On Fri, 9 Dec 2016, Michael Chapman wrote:
[...]
 Your'e right, I had a typo. But after checking again, I discovered the
 following:

 cat /etc/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants/systemd-timesyncd

 (empty)

 But systemctl status systemd-timesyncd says active (running)

 The link structure is as follows:

 /etc/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants/systemd-timesyncd ->
 /mnt/writeable/systemd-timesyncd ->
 /dev/null

You will need to use the .service extension on at least the first of those links. systemd will only consider links in that directory that have valid unit names. (I'm pretty sure the intermediate link's name doesn't matter, but I wouldn't want to rely on that -- best just to use valid full unit names everywhere.)

Oh, something else I thought of... I'm pretty sure it doesn't make sense having a symlink to /dev/null inside a .wants directory. Really, only the name of those links are considered. The links aren't actually dereferenced.

- Michael