Thanks for the answer. I'd then rephrase my original question: I'd like
to know what has been changed in the systemd (pam_systemd?) version 233,
that now it fails to start user@xxx.service? If I downgrade to the
version 232, then systemd gives the same error, but still starts
user@xxx.service successfully (pam configuration is exactly the same for
both systemd versions).

Regards,
Vlad.