> Not sure what "release product under GPL" is supposed to mean.

The combined work would have to be licensed under GPL according to:
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#AllCompatibility
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfLibraryIsGPL
I think that it means that the code has to be relicensed to GPL (which LGPL
2.1 allows). I'm not sure about it either. That's why I'm asking.

> libcryptsetup dep is optional anyway, and only used by the
systemd-cryptsetup
> helper, not PID 1 itself.

I'm asking about license issues with this specific option enabled. Also, I
don't think it matters which binary it is as long as it's included in a
final product.

> Unless you link your own more restrictive code into systemd-cryptsetup the
GPL
> dep that is libcryptsetup should not affect you in any way. At least not
more
> than the Linux kernel's own GPL license does. I mean, systemd doesn't
support
> any other kernels anyway...

AFAIK using the kernel (syscalls) is not considered a derivative work.
Dynamic linking is (in terms of GPL).

Krzy