I agree ... We should be competing at distances that qualify internationally
for races ...

While I understand that the genereal public in the United States relates
better to the mile, individuals go to track meets not to watch "events" but
to watch compeitors and competitions .. It doesn't matter whether we run the
mile or 1500 meters if we do not have competitive individuals in it the
event .. Is it any coincidence that our last great miler was Steve Scott and
since his time there has not been much interest in the event indoors ??
Sooner or later everything comes back to the competition on the track ..
That has to be there or peple aren't goign to watch .. NO matter what events
you choose to run or waht gimicks you can come up with to try to attract
people to events - indoors or outdoors .. Competition fills the seats and
nothing more .. And here in the United States we seem to appreciate
competitioin more when our own are involved (Look at how televesion covers
the WCs and OGs) .. So when we are not competitive in events it really
doesn't matter how we choose to run them ...

Conway Hill
[EMAIL PROTECTED]