From: alan tobin
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 8/1/02 1:46 PM
Subject: RE: t-and-f: women's AOY

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the energy system usage
for a
marathon is something to the tune of 99% aerobic/1% anaerobic. The 10k
is
95% aerobic/5% anaerobic. The 5k is 90% aerobic/10% anaerobic. The
3k/2mile
is 80% aerobic/20% anaerobic. The mile is 60% aerobic/40% anaerobic. The

800m is 50/50. I think those numbers are correct, or at least close in
terms
of energy production system.

I'd say the 3k/marathon is in the same ballpark. George Young was mostly
steepler and he made the Oly Marathon team. Another George who roams the

list was also a good steepler/marathoner. The difference between
training
for a marathon and training for a 3k basically comes down to what you do
in
the last 8 weeks or so. Most likely you're still going to be putting in
heavy miles for both and you're still going to be putting in hard
aerobic
miles for both, the difference comes in the final preparation and a few
other small changes (heavier miles/longer runs for 'thon...working on
pure
speed/form year round with 3k).

Take a look at Lydiard's training schemes for example. He had all of his

runners running basically the same until the last 5+ weeks.

Alan