My recollection of it was extremely vague, but I was able to find an interesting article on line that gives the credit to Dave Nielsen, head coach at Idaho State, and a former pole vaulter and decathlete. Says he improved his PR by 2 ft before the technique was banned.

http://www.ustrackcoaches.org/Mainwebsite/Coaches%20Review/Dave%20Nielsen%20full.pdf

I also found Oakland CYO website where the high jump rules specifically prohibits the flip.

http://members.aol.com/oakdiocyo/page4.htm

Bill Bahnfleth

At 07:57 PM 11/7/2002 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Someone who knows far more about track than I do wrote:

> I seem to recall that long jump with a flip looked like a mechanical
> improvement before it was banned.

That must have been a truly revolutionary technique. Who was doing it, and
when, and how far?

Jim Reardon