OK, so now I do know what the IAAF says:

RULE 145
Disqualification
If a competitor is disqualified in an event because of the infringement of the IAAF Technical Rules, reference shall be made in the official results to the IAAF Rule, which has been infringed. Nevertheless, this fact shall not prevent a competitor from taking part in all further events.

A competitor acting in an unsporting or improper manner renders himself liable to disqualification from participation in all further events in the competition. Reference shall be made in the official results giving reasons for such disqualification. If the offence is considered serious, the Competition Director shall report it to the appropriate governing body for consideration of further disciplinary action according to Rule 53.1(viii).

RULE 53
Ineligibility for International and Domestic Competitions

1. The following persons shall not take part in competitions, whether held under IAAF Rules or the domestic Rules of a Member.
Any person:
(viii)who has committed any act or made any statement either verbally or in writing, or has been responsible for any breaches of the Rules or other conduct which is considered to be insulting or improper or likely to bring the sport into disrepute;

Bill Bahnfleth

At 10:24 AM 3/18/2003 -0800, Dan Kaplan wrote:
> "Apart from physically removing the reluctant athlete (not great for
PR),
> some other ideas have been to remove the blocks, to place cones or a
> hurdle in the lane, to have a large official stand in the middle of the
> lane or to load the starter's pistol with one live round ...."

Wouldn't the obvious fallback be to threaten the athlete with bans from
future competitions?  That's what happens in other sports when athletes
refuse to play be the rules...  Then again, T&F seems to do everything in
its power to not be taken seriously by the sporting public.

Dan

=====
http://AbleDesign.com - Web Design & Custom Programming
http://Run-Down.com - 10,000 Running Links, Fantasy T&F