I agree that Ritz is very talented.  But I don't think a choice to go get
him into the most competitive race this side of the Trials means that either
he or his coach are selling his talent short.  I'd argue that NOT going to
Stanford would be ignoring his talent.

I doubt Ritz will have "many" chances for a 10K "A" standard.  Rule out the
trials for any distance A standards because the weather could just be
abysmal - it wll only happen if the weather gods smile.  Maybe he'll double
at NCAA's, which lowers the chance of an A standard.  When else is he gonna
do it?  Maybe he'd find one other realistic shot.  Don't want to run to many
10K's in the season.  As for selling short, his PR's don't exactly suggest
that he will breeze to an easy A standard.  Plenty of people with his times
have had difficulty breaking 28:00.  I agree that he is immensely talented
and that he can get an A standard, but it is just plain false that he will
either have many opportunities or that he will have "no trouble" getting the
A standard at the few 10K's he likely has planned.

And gotta disagree on the reason we haven't had Olympic medalists since
1984.  We haven't had them because the sport has become professional and the
U.S. no longer has an inherent financial advantage over less developed
countries.  We also have had a variety of attitude problems, which
fortunately seem to be improving somewhat.  Having Olympic tourists has
nothing to do with it.  If I'm aspiring to be an olympic gold medalist, I'm
sure as heck going to first focus on getting to the Games, which means
getting an A standard before the Trials and then winning the trials or
getting top three and not letting anyone without an A standard beat me.

Getting the A standard early is simply the prudent move - then he can REALLY
focus on training for the Olympics to do well.  If he has to chase an A
standard after the trials  - which is a dicier proposition with the IOC
deadlines this year - he certainly will blow his Olympic training. And this
year, you could win the trials, but if four other finishers already have A
standards, then you won't have a chance to get the A, you are just out of
luck, because our four nominations to the Olympic team have to be in by a
couple days after the trials.  In some of these distance events where 4 or 5
people end up with A standards going in, if it's a hot day then just beating
one other A standard person may guarantee a spot on the team.

Getting an A standard before the trials is far more important this year than
ever before, even if you "know" you'll win the trials.

- Ed