On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 5:37 AM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/10/17 Eugene Alvin Villar <sea...@gmail.com>:
>> be shortened. But it seems that the question about hyphen vs.
>> underscore is not resolved?
>

> IMHO it should be "drive-through" and not "drive_through", as the
> latter is the OSM-form of "drive through" and AFAIK here it is one
> term in English and not two.

This

http://www.google.com/trends?q=%22drive+through%22%2C+%22drive-through%22

suggests the popular form is not hyphenated, but two words.

Please can we maintain the customary underscore to join words in
values, as found in motorway_link, level_crossing, kent_carriage_gap.

name=value has long been an exception to joining words with "_" in
values. I don't suggest changing that.

And if service=drive_thru is to be revised, perhaps drive_thru=yes/no
from Map Features should follow the same plan.

Also redirecting drive_thru=yes to drive_in seems very wrong.  A drive
through and a drive in are very different in my experience.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:drive_thru&redirect=no