On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 11:29 PM, Alex Mauer <ha...@hawkesnest.net> wrote:
> On 03/02/2011 05:01 PM, Richard Mann wrote:
>
>> I reckon the voting is running at about 24000&  a handful for, and a
>> handful against.
>
> Oh, come on.  If you’re going to count every element tagged with
> designation=* as a “vote for” you really ought to count every element *not*
> tagged with designation=* as a vote against.  Both cases are obviously
> silly.
>
> At best you could count the number of users who have applied this tag using
> the values described on the page, which is guaranteed to be less than 24000.

I was being flippant. I don't think it's been subject to any imports,
so user numbers are probably in the hundreds, at least. I don't think
taginfo summarises the user data any more, alas.

The general point I was making was that the wiki/RFC/voting system can
be used intelligently, if you want to. If someone votes no and
provides a killer argument, I would accept that overrules any number
of yes votes. It's the same as any form of committee decision - the
result might be a bit "designed by a committee", but at least the
rough edges have been smoothed (oops - probably not the right word).

Richard