ok, i see what you mean now. use amenity=parking for the whole
facility, and the new tags for defining the elements inside. that only
works without a relation as long as you only have one logical parking
lot that's not split up in different areas. but parking lots, on
airports for example, are often separated by official roads which are
not part of the parking lot. therefore you would map two
amenity=parking areas and then you need the relation anyway. and what
about situations where parts of the area are not part of
amenity=parking? exclude them by creating a multipolygon relation for
that spot? doesn't make things easier. also inheritance of properties
would be more complicated in the long run. that's exactly why the
relation=site proposal was written (which, according to the comments,
is already used a lot) and why i based my proposal on that.

i'll mention your concern in the comments of the proposal and let's
see what the other users think.

on terms of the interpretation of amenity=parking. i don't see why the
purpose couldn't be further refined by an additional tag. it is done
this way for highway=service + service=* for example.

regards,
flaimo