On Fri, 2012-09-14 at 03:12 +0200, Alberto wrote:
> Ok, because according to English native speakers there isn't a single word
> that indicates "a facility where animals are kept and the staff feeds them
> and cares of them", I propose to change from "amenity=kennel" to
> "amenity=animal_shelter".
> In Italy there are centers for dogs only, cats  only, dogs and cats, wild
> animals in general, wild sea animals only, wild birds only and so on. Any
> combination is potentially allowed, so adding a tag "dog=yes", "cat=yes",
> "wild_animals=yes", "wild_birds=yes" and so on is useful.
>
> "pet_keeping" is not used according to taginfo and it is too restrictive:
> there are facilities that don't held pets but wild animals.
>
> "building=asylum" is not intuitive and it's not used according to taginfo.
> Moreover the key "building" is too restrictive for a center that can include
> buildings, meadows, courtyards.
>
> "Amenity=animal_boarding" is too restrictive: there are kennels that take
> stray dogs, catteries for stray cats, rescue centers for wounded wild
> animals.
>
> On the other hand "amenity=animal_shelter" is intuitive and already in use
> according to taginfo. Also "animal=shelter" is already in use: in the wiki
> animal page it's suggested to use it, but on what basis? There isn't any
> proposal page and it hasn't been voted.
> Ultimately I think we have to unify "amenity=animal_shelter" and
> "animal=shelter" in one tag, refine and officialize it. I think that with a
> feature page and with a preset in editors, one of these could become an
> universally used tag.
> Then we can refine it and add one or more additional tags for the purpose of
> the facility.
> I prefer "amenity=animal_shelter" to "animal=shelter" because according to
> wiki "amenities are an assortment of community facilities" and an animal
> shelter is one of them.
> On the other hand the key "animal" is not defined on the wiki and according
> to taginfo it's often used to indicate a species of animal or simply
> "animal=yes".
> We have already "amenity=veterinary" and not "animal=veterinary", so why not
> "amenity=animal_shelter"?
> Alberto

An animal shelter is a place where lost, or abandoned animals are taken.
Either to be cared for, or re-homed. UK examples are charities such as
the RSPCA, Dogs Trust, Battersea Dogs Home and numerous other smaller
places.

Animal shelter appropriate in those cases, but not in the case of
Boarding Kennels, or Boarding Catteries where you take your pet to be
cared for whilst you go on holiday. For these I would propose
amenity=boarding_kennel and amenity=boarding_cattery.

A few do take cats and dogs, but in my experience this is extremely
unusual, few cat owners would want to leave their cat at a place where
they will hear dogs.

Small animal boarding is another amenity, however not very common. I
have never come across a place where small animals, cats and dogs are
cared for, other than animal shelters.

Phil;