> Animal shelter appropriate in those cases, but not in the case of
Boarding Kennels, or Boarding Catteries where you take your pet to be
cared for whilst you go on holiday. For these I would propose
amenity=boarding_kennel and amenity=boarding_cattery.

A few do take cats and dogs, but in my experience this is extremely
unusual, few cat owners would want to leave their cat at a place where
they will hear dogs.

May be the case in UK but in rural areas of Australia it's the opposite. Most take cats and dogs. Usually well separated as plenty of space.

So I'd suggest amenity=pet_boarding or amenity=kennel and then dog=yes, cat=yes, etc

Cheers
Ross