A possible revised assignment taking the medians of different opinions
case by case:

South Pole Traverse: secondary (or maybe primary)
The other 4 traverses: tertiary
Ground routes between major stations, airports and harbours: tertiary
Main ways within stations: unclassified

At McMurdo, Main Street, The Gap, Williams Field Road and Phoenix Road
would become tertiary, and all other current tertiaries would be
demoted to unclassified.

Are there any objections to this change? This will affect 130 ways.

I forgot to mention that the Route du Raid was highway=secondary from
2018 to 2023 [1] and that the South Pole Traverse was
highway=unclassified from 2012 to 2020 and highway=primary since then,
with three different mappers trying to change it to highway=trunk. [2]
For two years, Route du Raid was mapped as more important than the
South Pole Traverse.

[1] https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/187792382/history
[2] https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/124904767/history

--