On Mon, 29 Apr 2024 at 08:02, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging
<tagging@openstreetmap.org> wrote:
> Apr 28, 2024, 22:50 by fernando.treb...@gmail.com:
>
> 3. If they are hamlets, shouldn't the main routes connecting them be
> mapped as highway=tertiary, based on the definitions in the wiki? [1]
> [1] https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/10078630
>
> why you think that place=hamlet are automatically entitled to
> highway=tertiary?

The wiki emphasizes the highway classification should consider the
relative importance of roads within regional contexts even for the
lowest highway classes:

"Outside urban areas, tertiary roads are those with low to moderate
traffic which link smaller settlements such as villages or hamlets."
"For quieter linking roads, consider using highway=unclassified
instead"
(quietER, relative, not quiet, absolute)
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dtertiary

"The distinction between unclassified and tertiary often causes
confusion: in general, always consider the road's relative importance
in the region's road network and tag appropriately."
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dunclassified

The wiki also lists highway classes by importance, from top to bottom
within a country, leading to the spread of highway classes according
to local conditions. So, in Antarctica, a neutral mapper (not
projecting country-specific customs or personal preferences) following
this guidance would tend to raise highway classification.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway#Highway

I agree with you that it would be a stretch to interpret this as
assigning highway=trunk to the only way between the only two houses on
an isolated island. But there are many intermediate cases in the world
between this extreme and the other extreme (a large, populated island
country with many villages and connecting roads) and no clear guidance
on when to start increasing highway classification.

And finally, the many examples I found near the Arctic seem to
constitute a tacit precedent for such regional relativizations that
represent mappers' preferences and practices in regions similar to the
Antarctic region. If we are truly concerned about coherence, then this
should be taken into account. The reasons why these mappers chose this
mapping style are probably linked to the practical uses of the map
(typically rendering and routing). If the map isn't good enough for
the users, they won't use it.

> (have I missed intended link? or are there multiple [1] anchors?)

My mistake. The first link numbered "[1]" was supposed to be a link to
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dtertiary which I
forgot to include.

> Why you link this relation as related? This road serves mines, not
> only research stations/hamlets.

My mistake in numbering the links was really confusing, sorry about
that. I wanted to highlight that, although the activity is different,
the physical characteristics, length and regional relevance of the
road are similar to those of the South Pole Traverse.

--
Fernando Trebien