Because i'm unable to perform my required action via JSTL tags (or
other taglibs), i'm forced to use scriptlets within my JSP.

What i'd like to be able to do is use variables in the scriptlets, and
then output (or access) them via some core tags.  I read that for this
i have to use <jsp:useBean .../> .. but i must be doing something wrong
because it doesn't give me the required output.

Essentially i want to:

<jsp:useBean id="x" type="java.lang.String"/>
<% x = "hello"; %>
<c:out value="${x}"/>

(I know i can use <c:set ../>, but the above is a simplistic example.)

Thanks for any help.
Anuj.