Hello,

as I haven't posted here before, I hope I won't make a mistake by
posting to both of these lists. IMHO, this announcement is relevant to
both communities.

This is to inform the taglibs-user and tomcat-dev communities of a
small new taglib which allows to script JSP pages in languages other
than Java. Scriptlets and expressions using the taglib have access to
the same implicit objects normal JSP scriptlets have access to.
Internally, the taglib only depends on the javax.script interface
defined as part of JSR-223 and included in Java 6 onwards, although it
can also work with other implementations of javax.script on earlier
version of Java (such as, for instance, Bean Scripting Framework 3).
So for people who want to include scripts in their JSP pages, any
scripting language that exposes a javax.script interface can be used.

Given the nature of the project, and the existence of partial
alternatives at least for some languages (such as Quercus/Resin), I
expect interest to be quite small (if any), but if there's any
interest it could be included in the newly re-organized "Extended"
Taglib. Ideally, I would want Tomcat to support this kind of
functionality natively via the language attribute of the page
directive, but the taglib at least offers a simpler and
container-independent solution.

Source code can be found at:
http://stani.ryabenkiy.com/downloads/releases/script-taglib-1.0.tar.gz
The related thesis paper (with source code in appendix):
http://stani.ryabenkiy.com/downloads/papers/scripting_thesis.pdf

Kind Regards,
Stani