On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 8:16 PM, Darrin Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 16:53:49 +1030
> Jack Burton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > I propose that all "A" routes in Adelaide and only "A" Routes are
> > > labelled trunk.
> >
> > I don't think this makes sense. Here's why:
> >
> > Firstly, I'll get the two red herrings out of the way: if I recall
> > correctly, the Gawler Bypass is signposted as A20, but it's actually a
> > motorway. Similarly, the Port River Expressway signposted as A9 (and
> > A13 for the part that used to be called the South Rd-Salisbury Hwy
> > Connector Road), but also is a motorway. But I don't really think you
> > intended the trunk definition to include those two.
>
> Ok, good point, that's a lack of my definition which should have
> included "unless the route is superseeded by being near-freeway
> conditions in which case it should be a motorway" or something similar.
> The motorway tag I think always dupes any other lower tag.
>
> > Leaving those two aside, trunk routes (at least in urban areas) imply
> > the big, heavily trafficed, wide, long, most significant roads within
> > the greater metropolitan area.
>
> This isn't the definition as I see it from the wiki:
>
> highway=trunk. "Metroads" in the cities where they exist, or other
> similar cross-city trunk routes in cities where they do not.
>
> Going by how metroads are used in the relevant cities there are roads
> of lower quality that some of the roads you are proposing to eliminate
> labelled as turnk roads (southern end of metroad 3 in sydney comes
> immediately to mind).
>
> All the met-roads in other cities are about the cross-city nature of
> things rather than the quality of the road. I would suggest the only 2
> "A" routes in Adelaide that don't fit this rule are the A22 and the A14.
> And yes the southern portion of the A15 past Norlunga Centre is another
> case that's debatable.
> However even though I don't think they deserve it, I think it's much
> easier to define it as "all A roads" and be able to display that than
> make a list that everyone keeps debating about.

>From a sydney prespective: Not all cross city roads are metroads. There's
like only 9 of them in Sydney, and many major highways are not metroads
(Cumberland Hwy being obvious example). They are truly the main trunk routes
out of town (ie, the main road to the northern beaches, the north shore, the
northwest, the west, the southwest, and the south), plus a couple of
circumferential ones through suburbia. I'm thinking that if you are
classifying more roads as trunk than sydney has, for a city smaller, then
you aren't following the essence of the "metroad" definition.

Also, from the UK perspective, only *some* A roads there are trunk, most are
primary, and B roads are secondary.

stuart.

--
Version: 3.1