--- On Wed, 17/6/09, Ross Scanlon <i...@4x4falcon.com> wrote:
> Which has nothing to do with osm or anything in the real
> world for that
> matter?

Actually this has everything to do with OSM, with a job you employer can make
reasonable assumptions about your answers based on qualifications, the same
can't be said for OSM except based on past performance, one indicator is the
ability to turn GPS points into map data, and we can only work that out based
on the raw information you used to make the data from.

> If the data was challenged that I entered then osm can
> contact me for the
> original data.  In the meantime why are we filling up
> storage on osm with
> data that is not producing the final product ie the map.

Why do I need to challenge you to prove what you did was correct, if the GPX
information is present and downloaded into say JOSM I can see if you did a good
job or not, otherwise I am left guessing based on the data other people
provided.

> No, if someone had better than consumer grade equipment
> then that should

How do I take your word on that if you haven't proven yourself to be honest in
this matter and shown your working out?

> be uploaded and locked so that it can not be changed except
> by the person
> uploading the data or on request to them.  It would
> override the consumer
> grade equipment totally.

Yes, people always tell the truth all the time, but that doesn't prove anything.

> But they are very rarely (less than once a year) wrong.

News to me, I've had several devices with various brands of GPS chips in them
and they will say for example 8m accuracy and be out by 100m at times.

I especially noticed this since I started embedding OSM maps into an app I'm
coding and the GPS accuracy will be within a reasonable tolerance, but the plot
on the map will be all over the place.