> * improving routing information, by working out average speed on roads
> (at different times).

If your connected to the internet that's fine but it's no use for on the
road re-routing, unless you have all the gps traces downloaded to your
gps.

This should be tagged by maxspeed anyway.

Some one may have also driven the road really slowly (push bike) and some
one may have done it at the speed limit.  This would skew any reliability.

> * improving height maps, by taking (lots of) samples where altitude
> information was present.

Pointless, vertical data is grossly out from a gps you are better off
using the NASA dem data.

> * automatically guessing the number of lanes on a road, by looking at
> the variance of traces over sections in each direction.

Should be tagged anyway (when more than 1) and how do you know it's not an
accuracy problem.

> * automatically marking ways which haven't been looked at for a long
> time, so someone can revisit them to make sure they haven't changed.

A good idea.

> * (insert your imagination here)

> If we had a trace here showing a person getting to a dead end, turning
> around and going back around the other way, then it would be much more
> convincing that the OSM data is correct. As it is, it is our word
> against google's.

I was going to say look at the sat photo but that dosn't help as its
covered over with trees.

We have to trust that osm's are putting in accurate data but from what
I've seen the data already there is miles better than google maps
particularly in rural Australia.

--
Cheers
Ross