John Smith wrote:
> What is, if anything, used for place markers or other types of non-address
> specific markers?

I'm not sure that I understand?

You're probably aware that the 'place' key is used for countries,
states, cities, towns, villages, suburbs etc
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features#Places

The 'postal_code' key also makes an appearance nearby in the next table
down.

What type of non-address thing are you trying to find a key for?

If this is about the keys for the ABS bulk import, they seem to be either;
1. Taken from the Map Features page and part of JOSMs presets
2. Taken from the Map Features page and not part of JOSMs presets
3. Not part of the Map Features page and not part of JOSMs presets (made
up to suit particular data that was included)

I've found another example that may relate to a bulk import using data
from the Geographical Names Board of NSW to insert a single Suburb node
with the suburb name and some reference keys. In this case, they've been
careful to use the 'ref:*=' key which I think is ignored in validator
plugin by default.

The 'making up' of keys isn't a problem as the need requires, it's more
a matter of finding a practical way to remove them from warnings in
validator plugin where they are widely used, such as a bulk import that
affects all of Australia, or one that places a node in every suburb or
town in NSW.

Given the response from JOSM developers to comments in your ticket about
removing unnamed roundabouts from the validator warnings, I'm starting
to think that an Australian config file is going to be the solution,
addressing the differences in editing styles and key usage here as
opposed to Germany where the program seems to be largely developed.

> Which brings me back to postal_code, should this be ignored or what should we
> do about this specifically?

My view is that the 'postal_code' key should be ignored, together with
any other key used for this bulk import as listed on the specific ABS
import wiki page.

Cheers,

Rick :)