I've created an entry on the default access restrictions wiki page:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing/Access-Restrictions#Australia

Now we can debate each line:

=== Motorway===
I left this as default. In Australia, some freeways allow bikes and farm
machinery, some don't. The Western Highway/freeway in Melbourne does, for
example, but the Eastern Freeway doesn't.

Comments?

===Trunk===
Default. Ok?

===Primary etc===
Default. Ok?

===Pedestrian===
I wasn't sure whether to put bike in or not. Some pedestrian areas (eg,
Bourke St in Melbourne) prohibit bikes. But I would have thought the default
would be that you could ride through, albeit slowly, and "bicycle=no" can be
added as appropriate. Probably most small town pedestrian malls allow them?
Comments?

===Path===
Default is ok.

===Bridleway===
I would have said we don't have these, except I think I found one on the
outskirts of the eastern suburbs of Melbourne. With the tiny bit of traffic
they must receive, I can't imagine that pedestrians would be banned, and
bikes probably wouldn't be either. So, horse=designated, bicycle=yes,
foot=yes.

===Cycleway===
I would say shared use paths vastly outnumber bike-only paths, so I propose
"bicycle=designated foot=designated". Horse...no? Paths that allow horses,
like rail trails, aren't too rare, but can be catered for easily enough.

===Footway==
Now, bicycles aren't allowed on *footpaths* - ie, the path that runs along
the side of the road. But they're generally allowed on most other paths,
like into or through parks, around sports grounds etc. So I propose
"foot=designated bicycle=yes".

Discuss.

Steve