On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 3:49 PM, Stephen Hope <slh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/1/7 David Murn <da...@incanberra.com.au>:
> > On Thu, 2010-01-07 at 10:49 +1000, Stephen Hope wrote:
> > >From a quick skim of the wiki, it seems that 'bicycle=yes' means that
> > bicycles are allowed on the way, where 'bicycle=designated' means the
> > bike has right of way.  Bikes have right of way on designated cycle
> > paths, but while theyre allowed on (most) roads, they dont have right of
> > way.
>
> This was my basic understanding as well, which is why I get confused
> when I see people talking about marking paths with stuff like
> bicycle=designated and foot=designated.  They can't both have right of
> way.

No.
bicycle=yes means it's legal for bicycles ("The public has an
official, legally-enshrined right of access").
bicycle=designated means it's designated for bicycles ("The way is a
preferred/designated route", "has been specially designated (typically
by a government) for use by a particular mode (or modes) of
transport") - I usually interpret "designated" as "signed", which is
an attractive interpretation because it's verifiable.