I'm currently doing some edits in Armidale (NSW) following my trip
there for Christmas. Many of the streets and surrounding roads are
labelled "lanes=1". Some of these are clearly wrong, as they have a
painted line in the middle (lanes=2) - I will be changing these, but I
wanted to check what to use if the road (residential or unclassified)
doesn't have centre line markings. Should we use "lanes=1" only if
it's narrow, or in all residential roads without lane markings? (or
leave the tag off completely?) What do other people do?

Mark P.
"They offered to transport me back to any point in history that I would
  care to go, and so I had them send me back to last Thursday night, so
  I could pay my phone bill on time."
  (Weird Al Yankovic, "Everything You Know Is Wrong")