2010/1/22 John Henderson <snow...@gmx.com>:
> Mark Pulley wrote:
>> I'm currently doing some edits in Armidale (NSW) following my trip
>> there for Christmas. Many of the streets and surrounding roads are
>> labelled "lanes=1". Some of these are clearly wrong, as they have a
>> painted line in the middle (lanes=2) - I will be changing these, but I
>> wanted to check what to use if the road (residential or unclassified)
>> doesn't have centre line markings. Should we use "lanes=1" only if
>> it's narrow, or in all residential roads without lane markings? (or
>> leave the tag off completely?) What do other people do?
>
> If the road is two-way traffic (you can drive in either direction), I
> use the lanes tag only if the number of lanes is greater than two.

A lane is a lane, there is two way traffic on a road south of Gympie
that is only one lane and you have to pull off to the side if there is
a car coming in the opposite direction.

> If the road has one-way traffic, I use the lanes tag for each way, but
> only if the number of lanes in that direction is greater than one.

If a road has multiple lanes (or car widths) and is bidirectional I
assume lanes=2, if it's one way I assume lanes=1 and only tag ways
with the number of lanes=* if it differs from the assumption. The only
exception is motorways where one way is assumed to be 2 lanes.