On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 7:13 AM, Ben Kelley <ben.kel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In general I think it is common that a highway has a different name when it
> goes through a town. Here the route continues, and will often be signposted
> with the route number.
>
> I'm not sure if that is the case for every road in this relation though.

That reminds me.. I've just updated the name of the Princess Highway
through Engadine based on the signed name via ground survey. I've made
the change in fosm,
http://api.fosm.org/api/0.6/changeset/1000002770/download feel free to
mirror such change in OSM if you like (this changeset is licensed
CC0).

In such a case it is definitely useful to keep the Princess Highway
route relation as that road, even though it has a different name, is
still part of the Princess Highway, the signs say so.