On 08/09/11 07:58, Ian Sergeant wrote:

The issue I have is with using a route relation with a road name to
link split parts of a named road, and including roads that don't
have a name or alternate name in common with the route, and can't
clearly be identified as part of that route by survey.

I take a pragmatic approach, something like this:

Given my local knowledge, and being on-site, how would I direct somebody
who is unfamiliar with the exact route but wants to be given
turn-by-turn directions from A to a distant B.

I've been mapping routes like the Hume and Hovell Walking Track.  This
includes unnamed paths, named roads and highways, and things like
roundabouts (unnamed, of course).  But they all form part of the track
nevertheless.

Sometimes the precise route is unclear.  It doesn't really matter if I
can make a safe and convenient choice for a routing algorithm to follow.
If someone else knows better, I'm delighted for them to refine the route.

John H