The Royal Flying Doctor Service (RFDS) have an Australian database of
around 2200 airstrips and airports although not all are in use or are
certified for use by the RFDS.These range from

   - Domestic/intl airports with regular commuter flights,
   - Local council run airfields like  Colac and Apollo Bay (Victoria),
   - First Nation community airfields like  Kalumburu in WA (Ex Royal
   Australian Airforce) and  Pormpuraaw (Qld)
   - Private airfields with tourist services (William Creek SA) -
   although this has been a "Temporary facility" for many years
   - Ranch/Homestead/Cattle Stations/Pastoral leases (Anna Creek (SA))
   - Beach airfields (Frazer Island (south of Eli Creek, Qld))
   - Sea-Plan landings like Rose Bay (Sydney) and Hume Dam (Boss 360
   firefighting aircraft)
   - Highway airstrips (above)
   - Forest fire fighting strips
   - Ultra light landing strips / helicopter refuelling) where possibly an
   old disused runway has been repurposed for a ranch outstation to
   accommodate cheaper aircraft. Anna Creek is 23,000 sqkm and there will be a
   number of places where cattle are mustered to take them to market.
   - Abandoned airstrips where pastoral leases have reverted to national
   parks/crown land or communities have not had the finance to maintain their
   airstrip/lack of need or were WW2 facilities (Fenton NT)

For aerial fire fighting purposes, the larger aircraft like (Very) Large
Air Tanker (V)LAT only use nominated airfields (e.g Avalon, East Sale
(RAAF), Albury/Wodonga for Victoria). Single Engine Air Tankers (SEATS) use
only selected airfields as bases as they need to reload fire
retardant quickly. Places like Ararat and Linga have these set up however
in long running campaign fires other airfields are used with a dedicated
ground crew.

Helicopters tend to use the local cricket/football fields (Gembrook Vic) to
refuel or park overnight unless there is an airfield and probably dams
nearby. It means the ground crews can access local services however any
road accessible flat area in a safe area will work.

I see some validity in
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:aeroway%3Dairstrip however the
proposed
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/Aerodrome appears
to be the solution along with in_use/historic. It would be ideal if this
proposal could be pushed along (or a variant) so we have some basis of
conformity as retagging 3000+ locations is probably going to need manual
updates.

Ewen

On Sat, 28 Dec 2019 at 09:50, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Dec 2019 at 19:59, Nemanja Bračko <brack...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have redefined my query: https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/PfU
>>

> Just looked at that query for SEQ - NNSW area & it appears that there are
> a lot of aerodromes not showing up?
>
>  I understand that minor airstrips without IATA / ICAO codes won't show,
> but many of the ones that haven't appeared do have them eg Gold Coast,
> Brisbane, both Toowoomba Airports.
>
> Running the query as is gave 555 nodes, running it for the same area just
> as =aerodromes gave 1285 nodes, 50 ways & 2 relations‽
>
>   Thanks
>
> Graeme

Warm Regards

Ewen Hill