Hi all,
I have noticed that the majority of ramps in Australia tend to have descriptive
names and that naming format/system is not unique. Also, it is 50-50 between
named and unnamed ramps.

I have researched ramps across all Australia, looked at Mapillary, OSC,
government data, OSM history. On street level imagery I could not find any
named ramp. In some cases there was an exit number, and it was tagged as
junction:ref because it is not a name of the exit, but all I could find were
just destination signs.  However, on OSM, ramps had names which in some cases
contained information for destinations (John Willcock Link (Eastbound) to Brand
Highway) or their function (Pacific Highway On/Offramp). Government data was
descriptive in some cases, there was no name in others so no consistency there
also.

I think that ramps do not have names and therefore should not contain a name
key in OSM (only if there is a specific name for it, then it should have a name
key). Exit numbers should be added as junction:ref and signposts data should be
added either as destination relation or destination key on the way so routing
algorithms could pick that info and give instructions like: "Take the exit
toward X,Y,Z". If there is a name, instructions will be like: "Take left to
X,Y,Z onramp/offramp".

I am raising this question in hope to get some kind of consensus how to treat
these cases across Australia, so all the ramps have the same format (conclusion
could be added to Australian Tagging Guidelines on wiki page for all editors to
have as instruction).

What is your opinion on this?