I can see an argument for mapping culverts similar to highway=ford because
the single culvert structure can be considered both part of the road way
and water way, and generally one real world feature should be one object in
OSM.

However, there are some tags that would be context relevant, eg. width=* on
the road would be the roadwidth, but on the waterway would be the waterway
width (through the culvert). Similar for surface, it might make sense to
separately tag the road surface vs surface of the culvert. So here it can
be helpful to map the culvert essential separately for each context.

I agree that similar to a bridge if there is a weight restriction etc then
best to apply that to the way segment of the road, though a node usually
would be fine as a first pass of mapping.

I know that generally we prefer to only map things which are verifiable on
the ground, there is a lot of prior art with non-verifiable things being
mapped. Some kinds of admin boundaries, protected area boundaries,
wikipedia/wikidata tags. So while I think verifiability is important, I
think other non-verifiable things can be looked at case by case, based on
what it is, where the data is coming from.

For specific examples, it's hard to say without some photos.