to avoid the egg and chicken problem,
I think it's best to work on both ends.

1) work on a taginfo proposal to distinguish between a large airport and
a small one. it can be based on the proposal I mentioned earlier. or
based on some of the existing tags your are talking about. it can also
go through an intermediate phase that would use aeroway=aerodrome while
adding info in secondary tags to prepare the change. this usually use
the wiki like the link I posted and/or is generally discussed on the
mailing tagging (but don't talk about rendering, they are allergic,
you have to focus on tags).

2) work on a rendering request: a free-to-use icon, a zoom from which it
should be displayed and criteria. the criteria could initially include a
list of the different existing cases like :
aeroway=airstrip
aerodrome=airstrip
aerodrome=private OR club OR airstrip OR regional OR airsport
aerodrome:type=private OR club OR airstrip OR regional OR airsport
when ready, it should be put on github

Regards,
Marc