On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 9:46 AM, Philip Barnes <p...@trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:
> If you want to see it, then a universal mobile phone mount that sticks to
> the windscreen is probably the easiest.

Thanks.

> If you are just logging, drop it in one of the centre trays, under the
> handbrake tends to work best.

My focus is logging, but... Last week I was in eastern Ontario with
access to my mother's car, and the question was how do I make maximum
impact with minimal amounts of time. So, I did data capture for a new
housing development, where there is a new gravel road in place (and a
big sign announcing "Lots for sale" (I recorded where the gravel road
was, I didn't make any effort to record where the planned lots are)),
and a small lane way that has a few lakeside cottages on it. In
addition to the two new to the map road/lane I saw something that I
didn't realize until I got home was already on the map (mind you there
was a bit that I saw that doesn't seem to match what is on the map, so
I will have to double check that next time I am in eastern Ontario
before making edits (*))

In other words I want to be able to look out the windshield and any
time I see something that doesn't match what is in OSM (because of new
developments or errors in the OSM database) be able to collect data...
So, being able to glance at the screen is desirable. Also, since I
don't get a chance to try this often, how well do GPSs work from the
centre console (ie: cup holders), as I know they do a great job of
detecting satellites under the front windshield, but I am worried
about further inside the car (and under a metal roof)?

Colin McGregor

(*) Last week I went down Elm Crest Lane, just north of Rideau Lake,
and Elm Crest Lane doesn't appear to connect to Wild Grape Lane /
Rideau Lake Road. As I say, I want to double check that next time I am
in eastern Ontario...