forgot to reply-to-all :)...

you can probably get some addresses from the OS sample page:
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/products/osmastermap/layers/addresslayer2/sample.html

data in gml and csv

which has over 2K of addresses in each of their sample files. Most of
the addresses are postal, some are non-postal (which offer more
interesting geocoding possibilities)

Of course, its all their copyright, but it's free (gratis) and would
be a great resource for testing.