> No need for relations.
> Just tag each address with addr:postcode or postal_code and all is sorted.

Tag it with addr:postcode as that seems to be the system for now.

> And in case you haven't seen it:
> http://dev.openstreetmap.org/~random/postcodes/?layers=000FBT0F
>
> this is taken from those two tags as applied to nodes or ways.

Seen it, and you can see there are errors in the map due to mistyped
names or incorrect cords. We need to bring both the postcodes under
one name then to a mass edit/check to see which are in incorrect
areas. i.e. there is a EC in the Exeter area (EX).

> This really doesn't work. Postcodes are applied to addresses, not
> streets. Just tag the address if you know it.
> It's still quite useful to tag streets with the known prefix though --
> I've done that a lot in London where the SW15 part is printed on most
> street signs.

I agree that postcodes are to the house not the the road. If you
relate a house to a road it does allow for a navigation device to see
where it needs to take you to get to the house. For now though I think
having nodes for a building and putting in the addr info is the best
way. This means that if in the future someone wants to do the houses
to the schema suggested they can get all the information from the
nodes, and then delete the extra data then. I know it making more work
in the very long run but atm the idea of spending 2 weeks putting all
the houses in correctly could put people off from entering the data.

I think I someone needs to draw up a proposal to convert the postcode
tag to the addr:postcode as duplication causes confusion for now.

Jack Stringer