Dave F. wrote:
In principle I understand what your saying & agree to some extent; except that I think it's incorrect to assume that on ground surveying is necessarily more accurate. GPS tracks are prone to being sent off course by the surroundings such as heavy tree coverage & steep topography. In these cases the maps are probably more accurate.
That's certainly true, but there are also (for whatever reason) errors in the OSSV data too. The N carriageway of the A38 to the North of East Midlands Designer Outlet is an example of this (around http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.10942&lon=-1.31278&zoom=17&layers=B000FTF) - edit in Potlatch and you can see that OSM has the carriageway slightly the North of OSSV, but fetch the GPS traces in and you can see that they all pretty much agree that both the OS and OSM have the road too far south. This isn't an OSSV tracing problem as that road was last edited by me reverting part of the RR8 "mass road renaming" in 2009.

Shuffle the background so that the underlying GPS traces match the OSSV data and it's clear that some of the traced stuff on that portion of the map is out by a 4-8m or so, but that doesn't mean that map isn't a good one. However, the resulting map of East Midlands Designer Outlet (at least partly done I think by the same contributor that we're talking about) is now far more detailed and far more useful to someone actually going shopping than it was before.

Full disclosure - some of the stuff N of the A38 and S of the EMDA was added by me (and at least one service road traced off OSSV without aligning the background first!)