On 16/03/2011 19:31, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
Richard Bullock wrote:
Do we *really* need to be tagging national speed limits on individual
ways?
E.g. the vast majority of roads ought to be one of;
*residential roads subject to 30mph
*rural roads subject to NSL
Perhaps we could tag the ones that differ from the above - and let
post-processors add national defaults as necessary?

Spot on.

cheers
Richard

I use to think this but here in North Hampshire they've been scattering speed limits all over the place and to settle on a default would be quite hard. For example none of the single carriage way A-roads near me have the national speed limit on them (rural or not).

The advantage of a tag on each way (whatever it might be) is that I know what the speed limit on that road is; no tag could easily mean it just hasn't been surveyed.